Friday, January 25, 2013

Coach Mikes "BIG BLOG"


Hey Everyone, two weekends ago I competed at Bigg Dogg Strong Strongman Competition. Bigg Dogg Strong is quickly becoming one of the number one suppliers in Strongman equipment. It was a good competition with a lot of good competitors. This competition was also a qualifier for nationals.

The breakdown of the events went like this:

1. The first event was a log and Circus Dumbbell medley. The log was 250 and the dumbbell was 150 and I had to go back and forth cleaning and pressing each one for as many times as possible in one minute. I hit 6 reps and took 2nd overall in this event and I learned that I need to continue to work on my technique on the dumbbell.

2. Next was the car deadlift for reps with the handles being in the front and a bar height of about 18inches off the ground. The estimated weight was 600 to 650 and I hit 21 reps which gave me 2nd overall in this event.

3. The third event was a yoke and duck walk medley. Each Implement had to be carried through 50ft. The yoke was 650 and the duck walk was about 300lbs, the duck walk is like picking up a giant kettlebell and walking with it between my legs. My time was 17.4secs which was 3rd overall in this event.

4. Going into the 4th event I was in 2nd place overall and needed a victory. The fourth event was a keg wheelbarrow load medley. I had to carry three kegs 50ft each and dump them into a giant wheelbarrow and then carry the wheelbarrow 50ft. The keg weights were 200, 250, 270 and my time was 54.7secs which was 1st overall.

5. Going into the last event I was in first place, the last event was stones and it was a 340 stone over a bar height of about 48inches for as many reps as possible in one minute. I was able to hit 5 reps which tied for 1st place.

After the results were in I took 1st place overall and qualified for Nationals, this really proved being consistent and well rounded in each event is extremely important. I would like to thank my mother and my girlfriend for coming to support me, I truly appreciate it! Also I would like to thank three of our long time clients Lance Drucker, his son, and Greg Gillen who are always training like badasses for coming to the competition and showing their support. Thank you Guys!!! My next focus is New Jersey’s Strongest Man in March. Continue to check in week to week to take an inside look at my training leading up to this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment