Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Coach Nick - New Years Resolutions That Work!

Time to be realistic people. Set some short term and long term goals to your training to achieve some positive results. I can guarantee that without some goals and a plan the only direction you’re moving is backwards. You are wasting time at the gym going through the motions and also wasting time and energy as your crappy diet is weighing you down. Being fit is a lifestyle and needs to be understood, not just done. 

                Set some goals for the day, the week, the month, and the year. “A man who fails to plan, plans to fail!” One of my favorite quotes that can be applied with anything day to day. Write them down, keep track of your positive and negative progress each day. What did you do today to help achieve your goals? What did you do that had a negative impact on your goals? Whatever that was, quit doing it! The person you have the most control over in your life is yourself. If you can’t be committed to making yourself better in life then how can you expect to ever accomplish anything?

                One of the most common things I see is lack of understanding the information that your coach is actually giving you. “I want to lose weight but I really hate cardio.” “I want to gain weight but I just can’t.” First of all both of these goals can be accomplished starting in the kitchen. Figure that out then come talk to me about your training or listen to my nutrition advice when I give it to you. The most important thing you must focus on in your training is not doing but understanding. Yea, working out today is a positive thing but did you give it 100%? Yea, hearing me give you nutrition advice is great, but did you listen? You need to know what it is you are doing and why you are doing it. SO LISTEN UP!!!



                Now that I have your attention, understand this: Make a decision about what it is you actually want to do. Do you want to be able to run a 5k at a good time? If that is your number 1 goal then your fitness has to be prepared accordingly. Having a 300 pound bench is great but not what you need to accomplish your goal. Do you want to hit a 500 pound deadlift? Stop looking in the mirror at yourself doing bicep poses. The work that needs to be done to accomplish that goal is not going to make you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Do you want to be able to run a half marathon, bench 350lbs, and look like the model on the cover of the muscle magazines? Give up. You show me a person can do all of that naturally and I’ll show you a liar. Be realistic with your goals by factoring in your genetics, work ethic, diet, training program, and optimism. If you’re positive you are going to accomplish your goals and hit these major points, I promise you will see progress.

                Lastly I leave you with this; now that you have written down your goals and have a better understanding of what it is you actually want to accomplish, GET IT DONE! No more bullshit excuses for your diet, missed workouts, or lack of motivation. You want motivation? I am not going to sit here and yell at you until I’m blue in the face that you’re weak, you’re fat, or you’re lazy. Negative reinforcement is not what you need. Get moving and take it day by day and I can assure you that in a week or two your positive results will motivate you with some positive reinforcement. Good luck!

-Coach Nick


No comments:

Post a Comment